You notice when there are a passion and so much quality, surrounded by a beautiful environment, all this is the Monje winery. This family-run winery is located between Puerto de la Cruz and San Cristóbal de la Laguna. For years he has been looking for innovation to let the many tourists who land in Tenerife know that the island not only offers excellent temperatures and beaches. The wine and gastronomic offer of this winery are one of the best I have been lucky enough to try.
GENERAL INFO ABOUT MONJE WINERY
La Monje Winery is located in the Sauzal area, an area with a spectacular ocean view, in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. It is 20 km from Puerto de la Cruz and 21 km from Santa Cruz, easily accessible by car from both sides.
Some info about the cellar:
- The winery opened in 1956 with Miguel Monje, father of the current owner.
- Of the 5 D.O. that you can find in Tenerife, the Monje wine is part of the Denominación de Origen Tacoronte – Acentejo.
- All plants are Pre phylloxera, we are talking about 150-year-old plants.
- They do not only produce wine but also Mojo (typical Canarian product) jams etc.
Guided tours are daily at 11, 13, 15 and 17, here all the options. I had the pleasure to meet Bianca and I must say that she is doing his job very well. There are many ways to try the wines of the Monje winery, here some examples:
- Wine tasting: 3 wines with 3 aperitifs (from € 15).
- Brunch and tasting: one of the most famous activities in Monje Winery. Guided tour of the Winery and the brunch menu (from € 19), the same option with lunch for € 27.
- Cheese pairing: Tour + 4 wines + 4 Canarian cheeses (from € 24).
- Wine club and Tapas: Tour + Wine Bar + taste the wines and the best selection of Canarian cheese, Iberian hams and sausages and seasonal tapas (from € 16).
- Mojo Workshop and Tasting
We have created the Mojo Workshop and tasting, fun, interesting and with the best accompaniment, the Canarian wine. The visit to the winery lasts about 40min approx, then we move on to the restaurant area. It is here where the workshop and the tasting are held, first, you are shown how to make the two types of Mojo and then you are given the ingredients to create your version.
The thing that surprised me most by visiting the Monje Winery is the variety of proposals they have, not just gastronomic if not playful and theatrical.
La Ley Seca. Enjoy the wines and dishes in the Wine Club like the speakeasy atmosphere (a clandestine club in the US during the Dry Law of 1920) with an “illegal and fun” play. Just on weekends, alternative Saturdays or Sundays at 13.00, (from €35).
Wine & Sex is simply a different experience, a dinner plus tasting that invites you to enjoy the wine through the erotic and gastronomic side. They don’t give more info about the event (they want to keep secret 🙂 ). Wine & Sex is one time per season, price 69€ (of course). Here to book you Wine & Sex experience.