Heraklion is situated in the north-central part of the island of Crete. It is a modern, bustling city, congested by heavy traffic. In this way, we can enjoy pleasant strolls among monuments, cafés and shops in the heart of the city centre.
Free parking at the port, but is a little bit far from the city center. Inside the old town, there is a lot of private parking, the fee normally is 5,5€ per 2hours.
Heraklion International and Domestic Airport (code HER) in the center. Ferries arrive and depart for both Athens and Santorini from here. To get to the city of Heraklion from the airport, you can take the public bus from the airport for €2. This bus is operated by the KTEL company and you can check the timetables on their official website.
Infinity City Boutique Hotel 63€/night with breakfast.
WHAT TO DO
Ancient Venetian walls surround the old harbor, ideal to enjoy a quiet walk, discover its history, enjoy a beautiful view of the city from the walls and enjoy a beautiful sunset if you go there in the evening. A spectacle to see and enjoy in Heraklion.
One of the most famous monuments of the city is the Koules Fortress, built by the Venetians in the 16th century, it is one of the most typical icons of the city and a good tip is to go and see the spectacular sunset.
The city of Heraklion, as the capital of the island, has a variety of interesting places to visit with a rich history. The Venetian Lodge building is one of the best-preserved buildings in the city from the 17th century, a place where rulers and merchants made deals.
In the middle of the streets of the city center is the sculpture Fountain of Morosini or Fountain of the Lions. A fountain decorated with four lions with water coming out of their mouths and figures from Greek mythology. It is a meeting place where you can enjoy shops and restaurants.
- The Archaeological Museum of Heraklion, considered one of the most important museums in Europe. It contains the best collection of Minoan and Cretan art, collections from Greco-Roman prehistory 2000 BC. The most important museum to see in Heraklion.
- Visual Arts Museum or Museum of Visual Arts: contains a wide variety of works by Cretan artists, where you can have a great time doing activities and workshops.
- Natural History Museum of Crete, a place to discover the flora and fauna of Crete, fossils, rocks, minerals where children will enjoy activities, dinosaurs and earthquakes.
- Knossos’s Palace: explore the labyrinth that enclosed the famous Minotaur of Crete and discover the secrets of the ancient civilization of the Minoans!
- The History of Crete Museum is the ideal place to discover the history of Crete, its past, its culture, from the early Christian times to the present day.
- A visit of architectural beauty is the Cathedral of St. Minas, a beautiful cathedral to see in Heraklion, sober on the outside and beautiful on the inside, an orthodox church with paintings, murals, domes illuminated by the light of its stained glass windows. Nearby is the church of St. Catherine, a religious museum with a collection of Cretan art.