The Blue Lagoon is a geothermal spa in southwestern Iceland. The spa is located in a lava field near Grindavík on the Reykjanes Peninsula, in a location favorable for geothermal power. It is supplied by water used in the nearby Svartsengi geothermal power station and is one of the most visited attractions in Iceland. Book as soon as possible, do not wait until the day before!
HOT TO GET TO BLUE LAGOON
The Blue Lagoon is located 50km from Reykjavík and 20km from the international airport (KEF) for this reason I left the city at the last stop of the trip. There is free parking for the car. I do not recommend going with an organized tour, it’s better to prepare the tour by your self.
There are 2 hotels where you can sleep, rooms starting from 344€, a suite room can cost 1600€. I suggest you sleep around or go and return to Reykjavík the same day.
The admission starts from €72, on the web they describe the difference between the various entrances.
- The basic one includes entrance to the Blue Lagoon, silica mud mask, towel, and 1st drink of your choice.
- The premium (92€) includes entrance, silica mud masks, towel, 1st drink of your choice, the second mask of choice, slippers, use of bathrobe, table reservation at Lava Restaurant, 1 glass of sparkling wine if dining at Lava restaurant.
1 Jan – 22 Mar = 8:00 – 21:00
23 Mar – 18 Jun = 8:00 – 21:00
19 Jun – 31 Aug (Mon-Fri) = 12:00 – 22:00
19 Jun – 31 Aug (Sat-Sun) = 10:00 – 22:00
1 Sep – 31 Dec = 8:00 – 21:00
There are 2 restaurants, The Moss, recommended by the 2019 Michelin Guide, which occupies the highest point at Blue Lagoon Iceland, offering stunning views of the volcanic horizon (menu from 85€). The Lava gourmet restaurant, menu from 42€.
SERVICES AND WELLNESS
Many people have asked me if it is worth visiting the Blue Lagoon, honestly, if you’ve never been there I recommend you go, is an experience. The Rituals are an exhilarating cycle of wellbeing based on the Blue Lagoon’s trinity of natural wonders: silica, algae, and minerals.
- Relaxing Massage 30 minutes 106€
- Relaxing Massage 60 minutes 185€
- Signature Massage 120 minutes 298€
The water temperature in the bathing and swimming area of the lagoon averages 37–39 °C (99–102 °F). Guests are required to shower prior to using the geothermal spa. Space is made by Steam Cave, Cold pool, and Terrace.
My recommendations are:
- do not buy souvenirs, are very expensive
- do not wet your hair (however there is the free air conditioner on the shower)
- Blue lagoon is the only geothermal spa? No, check Myvatn natural bath
- enter with GoPro camera
- avoid weekends